Knee meniscus injuries
Knee meniscal injuries are common in change of direction sports like Aussie rules, rugby and netball. Usually they occur suddenly and are often associated with;
• Sudden or severe pain in your knee
• A feeling of looseness in the knee
• An inability to painlessly put we weight on the affected leg
The goals of physiotherapy treatment for a torn meniscus are to:
• Reduce pain and inflammation
• Normalise joint range of motion
• Strengthen your knee, quadriceps and hamstring
• Strengthen your calves, hip and pelvis muscles
• Improve your proprioception and balance
• Improve your technique and function e.g. walking, running, squatting, hopping and landing.
• Minimise your chance of re-injury
Usually mild meniscal tears can be managed effectively with the above, however, if you still experience symptoms after these approaches, we will work closely with your specialist to design a pre-surgical program to give you the best possible outcome.