Pelvic pain during pregnancy
PELVIC GIRDLE PAIN
What are the symptoms of PGP?
- Pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy can range from mild to severe
- Area of pain can be anywhere from low back, pelvis, hips, groin through to thigh
- Pain made worse with movement including
o Getting in/out of bed or car
o Climbing stairs
o Prolonged walking
How can PGP be reduced?
- Gentle exercise including hydrotherapy
- Avoiding prolonged single leg weight bearing
- Sitting with good lumbar support
- Using a pillow between legs when sleeping
What can physio help with?
- Advice on activity modifications, avoiding aggravating movements and positions of comfort
- Prescription of exercises based on presenting symptoms
- Manual treatment to increase the compliance of muscles and joints
- Advice on support bands or sacral belts if appropriate